Monday 14 November 2016

14th November 2016 - Chemistry of Fireworks

Thought for the day :" Roses are red - Mondays are hard - I suck at poetry … Caffeine!"

There are moves to try to ban fireworks because they scare the animals (and some people), and indeed I have a dog that seems to be petrified of the bangs. According to the RSPCA, it is estimated that 45 per cent of dogs in the UK show signs of fear when they hear fireworks. With this in mind we decided to look into ‘quiet fireworks’ as it is now possible to buy fireworks that are being marketed as silent or quiet.  

In fact, reading a review of these new fireworks I find that they were not silent or particularly quiet, BUT they were considerably quieter than standard fireworks. The colours were just as vivid and the displays were beautiful. The pops, whizzes and bangs were slightly muffled but not quiet. "We would certainly not recommend inviting your pets along to see them any time soon, however we would feel comfortable knowing that they are inside safe and less likely to disturbed!"

I would miss the spectacle - though I think that the move towards major central displays rather than individual sale makes a  lot of sense. And would possibly get us back to November the Fifth as Guy Fawkes night rather than three weeks of  continuous disturbance...

But the real reason for these comments is that I found this little picture explaining the Chemistry of Fireworks and I know that I will want to find it again one day - so I will put it here so I can find it again.   It takes me back to my childhood days mixing magnesium powder and sulphur and sellotaping it up to make a big bang - or a smoke screen...  


and on other thoughts ...
Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment