Wednesday 11 November 2015

11th November 2015 - Lest we Forget

Thought for the day :" “Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
  
I have a good freind who happens to be a rock star. Yes - a real - honest to goodness rock star. Heavy metal style, with a band that borders on a little loud for me these days. I know I started with Edgar Broughton and used to do the "Grease Dance"  (that's the one which you do in pairs and swing your shoulders and yes I can do it properly - as opposed to a Greek dance which is another matter entirely) and much of my music from my formative years was loud and heavy. But I never really got inot Punk, or Thrash or some of the really "energetic" stuff that came later.

True, I could always acknoweldge the technical ability, but if it is too noisy then it does not always come out tuneful.  It is an age thing I think.


But today I listened to a new track from the band - Triaxis they are called, and the subject matter was different. The sleeve notes (I suppose you still call them that even though there are no sleeves any more with a download) point out that my friend Krissie wrote the song based upon the remembrance of two of her family lost in the first world war, and the poignance is clear and apparent. The tone tuneful and starts in a very understated way - leading through some telling words to the chorus of "Bring them Home". Then you are taken by the guitar soaring ...  and the famous words of Laurence Binyon from the Ode to Remembrance ...

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them."

It is remembrance day today - wear a poppy with pride. But take 6 minutes and 36 seconds to enjoy this song - I did ...  I am sure that you will enjoy it as well..


And on another note ... I leave you with this thought... I travel through time... I do so at the rate of 1 second per second... but...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment