Saturday 15 August 2015

15th August 2015 - Back to gentle blogging

Thought for the day: "a little bit of useless information.... Florence Nightingale applied to work at Swansea General Hospital and was refused - apparently true story"

Well, there has been an enforced silence for longer than expected, and the blog may or may not improve with spelling or grammar, as I am now having to write one - handed which makes it slower and more considered - unless I forget what I was saying by the time I reach the end of a sentence...

Back home at least. Dislocated shoulder - which apparently has slotted back in fairly reasonably...  four fractures in the upper humerus (yes many wanted to draw conclusions as to whether I found that funny!!!) and four screws to hold the upper arm together. Apparently not the way it is done in the UK where they may well have left it for a few weeks to see if it pulled back together before going in an operating. I got the German Efficiency mode and am now Vorsprung Durch Technik ...

The offending shoulder - the top sliced off and on the wrong side of the upper arm, the shoulder itself right out of place - no wonder it hurt a little....

and a couple of screws in place..


The external bruising was quite interesting as well...

Not very good at selfies...
The interesting drum article is the German solution to immobilisation - they like to have the arm "abducted" or out at an angle to keep pushing back into the socket as I understand...  Very awkward and as it allows some movement - very disconcerting as you can never tell if you are in the right position. The good old British sling keeps you still and invites you to deal with the pain with the good old British upper lip !!!...

But the food was edible and in reasonable proportions for an old viking trying to regain his strength...
Bananas and yoghurt for breakfast ?? Actually not bad if you have rolls and cold meat and cheese as well... at least it was not muesli !!

I took the opportunity to count my IT (or "in Time") money that I had gathered - and considering the game had only been running for less than 24 hours - it was not a bad haul....

But, sadly, my pride and joy - my Crimson Moon Tankard bit the dust - could not take full weight of me falling on it - the shoulder broke so i am not surprised that the tankard failed....




So...back home... Susie had to fly to Düsseldorf... take train to the outbacks of mid-germany - find the camper - find my re-enactment encampment and take it all down and pack it into the van - find me.. spring me.. and drive 800 miles home .... Happy Anniversary Susie!!

And to Anja & Rick and the members of the Grand Expedition that helped - a big big thank you.. To all those who wished me / us good wishes on the hundreds of  Facebook comments - it was overwhelming, and to the bards in Germany who extended such warm wishes - I will hope to see you all next year ..

Now - where are those pain killers...

 







  

No comments:

Post a Comment