Wednesday 4 March 2015

4th March 2015 - Getting a Dressing Down!!

Thought for the day: "Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?"

An embarrasment today.
Managed to rush around so much today that seemed to get a step behind - finally got all my admin sorted and ran out of ink on the printer... 

Headed up to Aberaeron for a meeting in my nice dark suit, but rather than spoil the jacket, I always fold it up and wear a warm fleece for the journey instead. That is fine if you remember to pick up the jacket on the way out!!


Sadly - an hour and a half into the journey and I start to doubt myself - but being a little short of time - no opportunity to check the back seat...

It is interesting to attend a formal Chapter Meeting - with the Deputy Grand Superintendent, and Past Grand Superintendent in attendance, and many of the "great and good", in my Royal Arch Regalia - and a borrowed jacket from the 1st Principal who was able to wear a gown and thus did not need his jacket...   To be fair, Iwan is many times my size. It would be fair to say that the jacket was several sizes too large. But with the regalia over it - and I was only sitting at the Organ as the Organist for the evening and did not really need to stand...  it was not too noticeable..

Which was fine until I got to the festive Board.
Then the Most Excellent needed his jacket back....

Thus, the festive board was a little more daunting...   I had my black body warmer.. It is sleeveless unfortunately and quite clearly showed that I did not have a proper jacket...  It is also emblazoned with the badges of my business - the Crimson Moon  in several formats ...   and not a masonic emblem in sight...   The room was not one where one could hide - there being some 25 members and guests in attendance...  of .. and did I mention that this is a festive board where the caterers provide the food, but the stewards provide the waiter service. I know !! I am not a steward !!  I am the organist, but the general practise in this friendly meeting is that if you are not on the top table you take a turn in clearing the tables or getting the next course out...   Actually - some of the top table at Aberaeron are not too full of self importance to get up and help...

So as I get up and clear the table - and fetch some gravy for the top table - it is impossible to hide the fact that I am improperly dressed...  

Now - this may phase a lesser man !!   And to be honest it should phase me!  Why you may ask? Well, as Director of Ceremonies in my Craft Lodge for many years I have always proclaimed the importance of Masonic Decorum at the festive Board. I hold firmly that the "jacket does not come off" at a festive Board. Ties are not loosened. And even after the formal proceedings are finished, I feel that it is somehow wrong to see the breakdown of formal wear....   I am only 61 - so being an "old Fogie" is a matter of choice and decorum rather than decrepitude - but there are some younger brethren in my Craft meetings with whom I have a friendly banter on this matter !!!  Had they seen me in my 'dishabillement' - they would have been laughing indeed!!!

Indeed on the evening - I was heard to mutter "I have apologised to the Deputy Grand Superintendent, and the the Past Grand Superintendent, Also to the Most Excellent and the DC - I am not apologising to you as well!!! " though in fact I probably did..

But the way I look at it - I could have turned around in embarrassment after travelling there - rather than face the problem of being in the wrong attire...  I could have!!  I could have decided to slink away after the meeting and scurry home in disgrace.. I could have!!  But then I would have missed a great evening among the fellowship of like minded people  - so I didn't...

But I shall double check next time that I have a jacket!!!


Back home safe now - Glass of 41!!  Cheers !!


No comments:

Post a Comment