Friday 27 February 2015

27th February 2015 - Age of Machines...

Thought for the day: " "Vegetarian" is an old Native American word for "Bad Hunter" "

Yesterday was a litle frenetic. Having been told on Sunday that were short of a First Degree Tracing Board for last night - it did not seem too daunting a task to refresh the 20 minute monologue with 5 days to manage it...  Of course, coming back via Aylesbury delayed matters a little, but that was to ensure that we had all the hangings necessary for the  Forces Medieval Night on Monday - which was later cancelled !!

Sadly, the passing of Eileen disturbed things a little, particularly as I was secretary of the Mark Lodge on Monday night and covering for one of the officers.

But the evening went well after all. I was but one of those under a little pressure. My friend was also a little distracted as he conducted his Senior Deacon duties in inimitable style - his wife was in Singletion Hospital Maternity - waters burst - but not much happening...   Not surprisingly, he did not stay for the festive board, and I too was home fairly early for me.

The new credit/debit card machine arrived, and as you are meant to make sure that it charges for 24 hours - I of course plugged it in - which caused it to emit an annoying "Bleep" every 30 seconds like a demented smoke alarm tester. Shutting it in the spare bedroom only just helped...  I think I must have slept through the noise but when I got up this mornign there was a pillow over the machine - so I think it must have disturbed Susie .....



Up early this morning and the machine is initialised, though I had to walk around the house to find the best signal... apparently works on 4 different phone networks and will poll accordingly. It will be useful if it does - as I recall that in Wigan Scout Camp - I had to paint a red cross on a stone to show the only place on the site where I used to get a clear signal to take a credit card....

Rest of the morning has been spent working through the insurance and notifications for Eileen. I must say that things seem to get easier each time - though I will accpet that this one is not very complicated. A couple of insurnace policies that do not even need to have the death certificate, and a bank account to close.  With the new computerised "tell it once" system for notifying all the other parties like pension and local authority, it is being simplified greatly....

So, we seem to have a tent. Credit Card machine. Bertha as standby tent. I found a tap yesterday for the barrel and some spiles or breathers. Vodka and Whisky are at £15 in Morrisons so will have to head out there again later - restricted to two bottles per customer. Found some tea lights on Ebay - for 99p - being picked up for Newcastle on Tyne this evening.  Will have to check how much we sold at LARP Aid int he past - I do not think it is very high quantities. But that event is more of a Charity Do and prestige link...

Also have to look for benches and tables for that event - seems that they hire them at the scout camp.
Licensed the four VALE events yesterday and the Raglan Pirate Event.  We seem to be moving in the right direction... Will be nice when we start earning some money.

and breathe......





No comments:

Post a Comment