Sunday 16 November 2014

16th November 2014 - Trip Advisor - Selwyn Samuel Centre

Thought for the day: "How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hand..."

Sunday... A late start and a lie in - a rare occasion these days. I know I only get up at the crack of 9 normally but there were no commitments today so it was 11 by the time I got up .. Quite a nice change...
Still had to clean out the chickens and replace the water feeder...  Susie still has a bad back so the chores are down to me..

Sunday lunch at the Selwyn Samuel Centre.. A Couple of hicoughs...  First round was over charged...  I had heard a rumour that they were charging  £3.50 a pint and so I checked the price list - Lager £3.00    That was not so bad ! As always, the cost of soft drinks disgusts me, and the J2O was £2.10...  So when the first round came to £3.70 I challenged. Barkeep insisted he was right . Most people would have accepted but I had the Price list on the wall next to me ...  Another member of staff came to agree and I was refunded ...   but not a good start ..

The reason that I had time to examine the price list was because the lad behind the bar had asked if I wanted Ice in the J20...  I had asked for appletize or some sort of apple juice - a standard at any venue normally ... That meant I had to drag my wife with the slipped disk to the bar to find something that she could drink ...  She chose the apple and raspberry  J20...   We chose to add ice.. There was a large ice bucket in front of me at the time.  The Barkeep disappeared!!   About 3 minutes later he appeared with a glass full of ice and the bottle which he did not offer to pour...  It seems he did not realise there was ice on the bar...  We were not in a hurry so it mattered little to me....

A similar thing happened with those at our table - they took a nice bottle of shiraz...  Now most bottles these day are screw top - and when I got a bottle of the house red mine was screw top, but theirs was a cork.. The waiter did not seem to realise that this required some implement to remove the cork...  I was not there to see that discussion - I wish I was there... 

I had not arranged a Gluten Free lunch for Susie - in fairness I have got used to working with the same caterer recently and she knows the option ..  They managed to put together a gluten free gravy - but sadly added so much salt that the meal was spoiled ... felt so sorry for Susie - she had put the gravy all over her meal ...

They managed a delightful gluten free pudding for her though - so all was well - "Chocolate Stairway to heaven!".. The Chocolate Orange Tarte I had was so sweet that it stuck to the roof of my mouth.. from the look of it the "Stairway to Heaven" was death by chocolate...

But by any terms, for £10 a head, the service was excellent. Would have been better if they had condiments upon the table ...  And when asked - they brought little paper packets of salt and pepper - I do not think so for a dinner !!!

And the water was supplied free - which was nice - large bottles of sparkling water ... bu to be honest, I am one of those who do not like sparkling water. We used it on the table - not me - I was on Red Wine, £11 a bottle not too bad ...  but when we asked for some tap water we caused a bit of a stir..  The initial staff said that it was not available and it was only after escalating to higher echelons and explaining in words of one syllable that we finally got what we asked for - a jug of tap water - with ice which was an extra bonus...

So we raised £76 for local charities, looked after the "Widows" of the Lodge and had a good time ...  There was an international bowls match on while we were behind the blinds.. Sadly the main announcements all came just at the time that the Worshipful Master was giving his vote of thanks - such is life !!!

All in all, for £10 a head, three course meal, all locally sourced, a private room and very attentive service, though a couple of the lassies who were waitressing were unable to keep their hats on - I did explain to one the merits of a hat pin, they looked fine in their straw boaters... it was a good day and a good luncheon...

So, that is my private Trip Advisor ...

Finish the day with a wee dram or two !!!
Cheers!!
  


-o0o-
Images of Useless Items Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment