Sunday 5 October 2014

5th October 2014 - Just a walk in the Park - Yeh .. Right !!!

Thought for the day: "How Do Crazy People Go Through The Forest?  They Take The Psycho Path..."

It was a day for paths...  Now, anyone who follows any of my little story lines will know that perambulation is not really a great part of my life-style...  True, as you look back to the start of the year, there are some illuminating articles about "walks around Llanelli", and even an indication on some occasions that I could be trying to enjoy it and maybe gain some health points....
Though I write a blog - there is a small degree of fiction in what I write...  Any hint of enjoyment was probably falling into that "creative writing" section of my ability...

And as we headed for Surrey and Abinger Common and some deceptive tower - the rain poured down on the Bothy and the M25 proved as fluid as a jar of golden syrup, the concept of an afternoon walking up some hill became less and less attractive...

True, this was an anniversary of the heroic effort of Kell and Paul in crossing the Pennines, 298 miles or something in 12 days...  A Marathon every day for 12 days...  I remember when they were Snickers !!!
It was an opportunity for Susie to meet up with her "boys" and relive some of the interesting times of the walk - the food poisoning, the lost camp sites, the small turning circles for the Bothy...
On that basis we had to join together for a gathering - and an opportunity to meet up with Paul, who jumped in my expectations when he continued to produce a small whisky flask with some "encouragement"..

So the party of 8, including lovely little Evelyn,  who shamed me into getting ready for the walk.. If toddlers in arms could walk it - I probably could manage...


Don't get me wrong - I do not really dislike walking - just cannot get much enthusiasm into the whole concept. I probably would be happier with proper walking boots rather than my work boots that I have - more suited to setting up tents rather than 10 K treks... Proper waterproofs and gear and I should have remembered to bring a small rucksack - we have them !!! And no-one mentioned to me taking a picnic - that would have been a nice idea - I could have done that !!!  Or that there was a cafe half way around and carrying a wallet - or at least a little cash would have been a good idea rather than an extra piece of weight that should be avoided...   Sorry Paul - I forgot to give you you pound back - next time I see you - Okay ??

So the rain was warm - but the waterproof I had was wetter on the inside - I would have done better wearing a long sleeved shirt underneath at least to pick up the sweat....  A small rough part of the sole of the left boot caused enough rubbing to worry about a blister - did not develop - but was a part of the thought process..  but as the rain slowed to a drip - it was easier to take off the jacket and walk in shirtsleeves...

One person enjoyed the walk .. 'Thena had the greatest walk of her life and clearly was ready for bed at the end of the night..

So good company, a pleasant trek around about 10K so I am told - I would not know ..
The "Half way" spot  - Leith Tower.. You can see 6 counties from here apparently and to be fair the sun came out and you could see Wembley and the Gherkin over London and lots of other mist laden lands...  It was not helped by the sign for the car park along side showing that you could drive up there !!!  But that was not the point of the day  (apparently !)...

So - the choice was the 6K route home or the 4K route home.. Everyone had a vote but I abstained as I was already persona non grata in terms of "walk-enthusiasm" . The decision was the shorter version for which I will be eternally grateful!

But back to the pub and a reasonable meal for the price - which is more than I can say for the drinks!!   I know - We were in the South East - but it is still a bit of a shock to pay £3.80 for a soft drink (pint of Fosters)...  A Gin and Tonic and an appletise - £8.60!!

It was a lovely place and we were well looked after - even if they did not have any RIBS !! (Gary!!)
[we did rather play them after we found out that they had no ribs on the menu - especially Gary who did not let them forget - but it was his birthday we were celebrating as well as the walk...]

After everyone slowly drifted away - we were ready to retire to the Bothy when we were informed that the lease did not allow overnight camping ...  so after a last Scotch  ( Grouse seemed to be the cheapest option at £2.90 a single) we headed off into the night to find a suitable car park...  In the end we found ourselves back in Hornby St Mary - where Susie the Google Map declared "There is a village green there - we can stop there" and so we did ...

And to the sound of the local Church bell chiming the quarter - it was a very mellow sound - we drifted off in the comfort of the Bothy - and the welcome of a frosty Surrey morning...

A great day..  Good Company.   A great achievement last year celebrated ... Nice food.. a good night's sleep - we were in bed by 10pm !!!  and back home for a glass of Chateau 41 ..

Can't fault it

Good night - and Happy Birthday Gary !! And thanks for a great day Paul ..



-o0o-
Old Time Religion

 

No comments:

Post a Comment