Thursday 26 June 2014

26th June 2014 - Of Abseiling and Alternative Addresses

Thought for the day:
"Someone just called me childish...........I almost choked on my lego"

If you have a meeting called the "Pembroke Consistory", one might expect it to be in Pembroke !!! Yesterday was a little "senior" as I happily made my way down to Pembroke Dock with a few minutes to spare for a 5pm meeting. Arriving at the destination I was a little perturbed by the lack of cars which normaly prevent any parking near to the hall. My confidence was further shot by the chain and padlock clearly on the gate.  A check of the notice of invitation and the date was definitely correct.. The 26th June 2014.

Further down the notice I see the invitation to attend the meeting at Windy Street - FISHGUARD!!

Oops!!  I haven't travelled on the Cleddau bridge since the day I abseiled from the side into a police inflatable launch several years ago. I believe we did it for the Children's Hospice - the Noah's Ark Appeal. It was certainly high and as I am not the best with heights, the initial steps over the side were quite daunting.
The hanging in the air was not too bad, though the lowering on the ratchet was preferable to the normal rambo style rapelling - I was not skilled enough for that ...





Whichever way you look at it - it was pretty high !!
Sadly - somewhere in the galleries of photos over the years there will be a photograph of me actually getting onto the rope and dropping - but sadly it is not on the original website and my indexing system seems insufficient to be able to find that image....
BUt this was a fine fellow who could have been me !!!
Another view from the top - and as I recall it was not very warm....
And that boat looked very small and bobbed around a lot - but it was a venture well achieved and raised a lot of money for the hospice appeal..

But yesterday I was just crossing the bridge - and was fairly pleased to find that the  toll was only 75p. Of course 5pm is not the best time to be trying to cross Haverfordwest and travel up the coast to Fishguard... but all is well that ends well - I was a little late but still in time for dinner...

Pollen count is very high again today - I am sitting and spluttering into my diet cola .....

Ho Hum ... Not to complain.... It could be raining which at least would water the garden.....
It will no doubt rain over the weekend - It is of course Glastonbury Weekend and I will not miss the mud if it does rain ....


-o0o-
Place and Sign of the day


No comments:

Post a Comment