Sunday 18 May 2014

18th May 2014 - Progress but no boxes..

Thought for the day : (paraprosdokian)"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."  Groucho Marx

Actually the day has not been too bad - though the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray!
For example, I decided to take a trailer of rubbish to the dump!. Not unusual really. Part of it was wood from the Shoreline which I thought I would take away as a favour, but most of it was smelly "stuff" from the back yard as we were clearing.  Black bags and smelly stuff including a dead rat which was far larger than it should have been in our garden and rather deteriorating, wood and old metal.

So, best laid plans head through town. Not a good idea these days. They have changed the timing on the traffic lights by the old cinema and every time i get into the queue I say to myself - I should have gone the other way! Does not matter how quick you are - if you are in the queue they will turn red before you get to them - and then wait !!  But having traversed the lights (it took two sets to get to the end) I headed the quickest way to the dump, straight down the main road and passed the railway station. Now as you approach the level crossing you can see if the lights are going red and barriers are closing.... so you can take another route...  Did this and saw that unusually,the level crossing at the other end of the station is also red . Meanign trains coming form both directions at the same time.

No problem - turn right and follow the road around to find the bridge... and there we have it ! They have managed to sneak in a new one way system (the other way naturally)  so I am re-directed back to the traffic lights in the opposite direction. Not to be outdone, I do a smart turn left and take the coast road. Aha !! I have them now - only to find that the road is closed for some  road race or similar - with nice security yellow clad people sending me down the other way!

So I get to the other side of the level crossing, which is of course now open and the traffic is flowing freely.... along the main road, not the road I am on which is now the diversion and  backed up for 200 yards... When I finally get to the junction, the delay is clear, the road is restricted by parking on both sides and not expecting this additional traffic in both directions...   Again I manage to sneak off down a side lane - only to find that the number of speed bumps have increased exponentially  - which does not help the trailer behind with its untied down smelly and wood...

I think that I could have gone via Timbuctoo faster than I managed the trip to the dump today...

The trip onto Swansea was fairly uneventful. Found machine Mart who did not stock the wheels for the sack truck so bought another one - it was cheap enough and I will need it int he short and long term. (Later found some replacement wheels on Ebay so they will be sent to repair Werner's truck that I have to take back to Germany later in the year)

Thought I would pop into Tesco to get a support bandage for the knee which is very painful today. I over extended it when pushing the freezer on the broken sack truck yesterday. Decided £20 was too much for a piece neoprene. I think I have one in the house somewhere... 

Got to Lidl and B & Q and decided that I had done enough for one day..

So the boxes will have to wait until tomorrow !

Meanwhile Susie has finished constructing the chicken house, and with great foresight and taste has painted it Green !
Just the finishing touches required and then the netting over the Chicken Run itself ...




An on other projects, I have started the plans for the Volls Wagen - the Vollsanger Instrument Transporter...
It is still only a humble Golf Caddie - but tomorrow and the day after - who knows what it may become ...

The simple Caddie in its natural environment next to the soft drinks (fosters). It is rather clever as it does fold up..  But the problem is how to carry a 6 string guitar, a 12 string guitar, possibly a banjo, and maybe some other instruments around - especially over rough ground as in Germany ...
The concept is simple. The shape of the guitar lends itself to resting upon the structure..
Just need to devise the right structure that sits on the caddie..   So that it can lift it on and off ...   Plans!!

Best have a glass of port and think about it ...  Ideas always seem better after a glass of port....




No comments:

Post a Comment