Wednesday 9 April 2014

9th April 2014 - Chickens and Cats ...

Thought for the day : "The problem with quotations on the internet is that it is difficult to check their veracity" - Abraham Lincoln

Wednesday appeared with little special notice. The weather was fair, good enough to consider a drive/walk to Burry Port. Some extra tweeks on the net early but then a trip out to collect some dues, search out some regalia and regain my fitness criteria..

An abortive trip up to Willow Farm. The farm is well locked up and though in the old days I felt welcome enough to hop over the gate - it has been a year since I have called so thought it better to leave a message on the answerphone and see if I get a reply.. none so far ..

So up to Trimsaron then to visit an old friend - and have a chat. Dai Ginge, as we have always called him - Dai - because he is David and Ginge from the colour of his hair in earlier days  - not now - but then I have to insist to people that I have long flowing BLONDE locks and not white !!
Dai though has the biggest collection of model and scale trains that I have ever seen. They are wrapped around his garden like a serpent from Norse mythology  and even his living room has small sections of rail - apparently for testing !!!

Dai used to be the head brewer at Buckleys brewery as I recall - and I can also recall many a night shift in my early years as a constable where we would have a cuppa in the "tasting rooms" and sometimes finish on a 6- 2 shift in those self same tasting rooms for a bit of a "session"

I was not there - but it is stated that an on duty officer broke both his ankles jumping over the gate at the brewery after a surprise visit from the inspector...
Oh tales of earlier days !! I am sure such things were not happening buy the time I left the job...

Later we revisited a farm in Pontantwn - wheer we got the chicken run and the chicken coop.. This time to buy the pink hen house that we looked at earlier and since she decided to let us have the old chicken run for free rather than it be trashed - we ended up with a good return..

The down side was that as we took all the chicken furniture down to the trailer the gate was open.. Now I do not know if her cats run free and onto the road or not - but all I know was that we heard a large thump and I found her cat in the middle of the road - obviously knocked down by a car that went past that decided not to stop even though they lost their front bumper. I remember form my initial training the mnemonic G D C H A M P S - those animals that you have to stop to report - Goat Dog Cattle Horse Ass Mule Pig or Sheep - cats are not included... But this cat was called Baldric and was a very poorly pussy cat as I brought it from the centre of the road and placed it on the verge...  The owner was visibly distraught and there was very little for us to do or say ....  Sadly as we tied the coops to the trailer she was not to be seen and was not answering the door ..  We wish her well as she deals with her loss...
    
Saw this today and liked it for no apparent reason.. but thought I would include here..


Had the pleasure this evening of a meeting of the Societus Rosicruciana in Anglia at Narberth. A lovely little lodge temple that is carefully nurtured by its members. Only small in numbers, with visitors from as far away as Weston Supermare for the installation ceremony, but a very convivia evening. I was approacehd byt eh Director of Ceremonies to propose the toast to the visitors - .. I said "But I am only the Organist .."  He said " You can sing it if you want ..."

I chose some random words to say .. Extrapolation...  Celebration.. and congratulation....

Then decided to extrapolate by singing their praises for joining in our celebration and thanking them for their congratulations to the Celebrant and the members and Officers..  Well a little trite but not bad for the 23 seconds preparation I had for the toast....


Lucky enough to have a lift again this evening ...   Allowed me to enjoy the evening with a bottle of wine - not as good as a Chateau 41 of course - but no worries of driving today.....


No comments:

Post a Comment