Friday 21 March 2014

21st March 2014 - Run silent Run Deep..

I never liked running. I have tried it at various times in my police career whenever I felt that I really ought to be a little healthier. The Dogs have always enjoyed - and I have had various little routes that I have built up so that I could increase the distance slowly, but I never really got into it. I remember in Haverfordwest, as Inspector and having to live a bachelor life during the week, returning on weekends, I went for the full combat gear - boots and some weights in the knapsack and managed to get around the town... but I can't say I ever enjoyed it....

But then I never got into going to the gymn either. The machines scare me - and when I went for my last sessions I could not find anyone who would tell me what I should be targeting - so instead went for a swim instead.   This is of course why you get yourself a personal trainer and I am very tempted to go and see my Rock Star Trainer Krissie Kirby, but to be honest I am far to mean to spend money on such a venture. I wish her every luck in her work, and am delighted that she is able to make a living. I look at the results with her clients and they are excellent. But I do not think that I will spend money on it. I will buy the records and listen to the music instead. For anyone who wants a trainer then please visit http://kirbysfitness.co.uk/  for Kirby's Fitness. I suggested at Christmas that I would buy a course for Pole dancing for Susie - and I still would pay for it for her as I think she would be great - and get some enjoyment out of fitness and weight loss.....

But I am now 21 days into my "Sabbatical". Weight loss I am happy with ... 15-6 down to 14-8. All those useless calories in the Chateau 41 are the most responsible I think. Bread and Potato have also been cut out, and my shirt collar seems to button up again, and my "summer" belt - the one I can only normally use in the Summer after lifting a few Marquees, is squeezing onto the first notch.... On the Wagon and counting calories and days... 

I recall the scene in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallery when the distant sound of the tramp of feet leads to a scene of Joggers passing through the 'B' Ark.... Encapsulated in that one moment, was the entire concept of the street runnner to my mind. Add to that one of my favourite songs of the seventies by Tom Paxton ....
"We'll do it like the magazines tell us to.. 
25 Laps around the pond, will make us tall and slim and blonde.. Oh hand me down my jogging shoes today..."

So - jogging is not a high a priority of my day..

But the walk from Llanelli to Burry Port is about three and a half miles long...  That is about 5 kilometers in new money which I don't really follow - but 5K seems to be the starting distance for most runners ....

So, bad Friday decisions, the dog seemed keen on a walk. The garage needed to check the winsdscreen wipers on the 4x4 that have suddenly failed - and the sun was shining....

Yes - I set out to see how far I can get on the route. After all I have been walking it for the last 21 days at a fast lick.. well fast for me... No - I didn't try to do a 5k run in one go ..  I am not that stupid.  

My mother always told me that when she was in the Guides they used to do an "indian scout" run. This was 12 paces running and 12 paces walking.  Lord of the Rings had the momentous run of Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. I am sure that they also ran and then walked , and then ran and then walked....

Llanelli to Burry Port is not really on the same scale, but the sun was shining and the first hundred  seconds corresponded with the right foot pounding on the ground on that number of occasions. This is not Usain Bolt in action. For the random spectator, it may have been difficult to distinguish between the running and the walking bits, except for the panting that is.. But Llanelli to Burry Port in under an hour.. Not a bad start..

So, as a committed non-jogger, I have started on the downward slope...  I may be in deep..
Run Silent.. Run Deep.....  


No comments:

Post a Comment