Sunday 23 June 2013

23rd June 2013 - The Best is Over - heading for winter

I don't say that I am at all pessimistic, but it seems strangely correct for this year that we have got through the  Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year, and I have the strongest temptation to put the central heating on...

The Solstice came in with a strong wind, almost enough to close the old Severn Bridge crossing and certainly enough to push the Bothy unrelentingly as I drove down to Wiltshire for a wedding. I should have been there on Thursday night - ready to help set up on Friday, but split hospital journeys to Llanelli and Carmarthen Hospitals put that idea on to the back burner.

So another event crept up where I had promised to help in the set up. This time the novel part was that it was a double tent set up, but the structure went up with no apparent problems and once again looked good.
Friday was a write off. But it allowed me to attend the Provincial Meeting in the morning and play the organ and do a hospital visit in the afternoon before heading down into England.

Many years since I have driven through the amazing village of Avebury, surrounded by Sarsen stones in apparent random splattering through the village and surrounding area.
But as I drove across Wiltshire on Saturday afternoon - there were mile upon mile of yellow no parking cones and lists of lay-byes closed to the public. It was only after driving through the village that I realised that had I tried to drive that way the day before I would have been caught up in the Solstice gatherings across the area. Might still have been waiting for local druids to shift their cars and greet the morning sun... which I think was probably hidden by the clouds...

But my journey was clear and the Bothy trundled happily down to village of Charlton, where Crimson Moon signs started to greet me at every corner, leading unerringly to the wedding venue...

As I got there - it seemed very quiet, no sign of anyone. It was 7.30pm but from the outside looked like a beached version of the Marie Celeste.  A small child appeared to kick a football, but as I parked up the Bothy and entered the rear to change into Vollsanger ready for the fray, there appeared to be little sign of life...

 It was only the outward appearance however. With headband and chainmail gorget and guitar slung over the shoulder I approached the main entrance....

And found that the place was buzzing, packed and the bar was busy which is always a a good sign.  Also just in time for the Groom's Speech., an excellent and amusing treatise from Shakespear to the Matrix....

The set up prior to the guests arriving... sent by the good graces of John,  a gem of a set up man, the first person I have found with the same energy that we always put into the 'Moon'. Never stops!!!

So, having been unable to attend the last events, the disco played for the first part of the evening and then at about 11pm, we moved onto the acoustic sessions...  and sang a medley of old and new with old friends the Wolfshead Bowmen and new friends as well.

So a great wedding for Diane and David - and another successful weekend for the Crimson Moon - makes the move feel so much more confident ...
So every success and happiness to Diane and David...  And I lift a glass to the forthcoming winter months !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment