Sunday 10 February 2013

10th February 2013 - More Boxes

Sunday. For any who have been looking at the blog over the last months, then it will be no secret that I have been converting random possessions of the last 45 years into banana boxes... Today it was the turn of a number of fine old vinyl records that were part of the collection of my father.

There is little real need for vinyl these days, most are already on digital, but there are those who think that the vinyl has some value greater than other media. Personally, they are part of history, there may be recordings that have not  been transferred to new formats, or maybe there are special recordings - I do not know!!

I know that he was a music critic in his early years. Most of the records I packed away today have " Not for resale" stamped upon them and he spent many years writing about the music that he loved to listen to. He was also a TV critic. I know this as I was born back in February 1954 - when on the evening of my birth the first showing of "Quatermass" was showing upon the small screen. I was apparently a breach  birth causing some complications, and was birthed in the upstairs bedroom - but he had to pop back and forwards to check on the progress of the show in case he missed something that was essential for the review....  

I was heralded into this world by science fiction reviews...   today I parcelled up another small section of my life. I also found out that my paternal grandfather who we always though was a bigamist  having remarried while forgetting to divorce my grandmother, actually turns out to be a gentleman - we found that he married his life long partner and mother of his children a little time after the death of his legal wife.  Maybe there is honour in our family yet...

Another box ...



2 comments:

  1. Many years ago, I heard that old vinyl records could be turned (sorry about that!) into flower-pots.

    I don't recall the details of the process, but believe it entailed the use of a heat source (a chicken-egg incubator comes to mind - for some reason) to mold the vinyl disc into its new-found shape; the platter's 'spindle hole' making the perfect drain for whatever dribble was either in the soil or was etched in the groovy song on the 33, 45 or 78.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting idea - but may have to hang on to them for a while yet....

    ReplyDelete